Saturday, July 17, 2010

Raspberry Mousse with Port

Girls Night In. What foods come to mind? I think of light, airy, and fruity. Sweet and... pink! Okay, rather sexist of me. I did do my best to avoid gender stereotyping when the kids were little. Harry inherited a pink doll stroller (from which he threw the doll and wheeled his favourite trucks around) and much of his sister's clothes. But now that they are grown, I don't have to worry about such things. I can bend to my own flights of fancy. Maybe it is the fact that I am outnumbered here; with my son, husband and two male dogs in the house. But last night my daughter came home for dinner and I wanted to make something special. Something for us girls, even though the boys were having some too, something pink. And delicious.

Fruit Mousse with Gelatin
adapted from Mark Bittman, How to Cook Everything
for I Heart Cooking Clubs, Girls Night In

Ingredients:
2 cups soft fruit, peeled and pitted before measuring. (I used frozen raspberries)
1/3 cup sugar, or to taste
1 lemon, halved
1 cinnamon stick
1/3 cup water, plus 1/4 cup
1 envelope unflavoured gelatin
2 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup fruit sugar or superfine sugar
Port

Place raspberries, sugar, lemon, cinnamon stick and 1/3 cup water in a medium saucepan and simmer about 10 minutes, until the mixture is mostly liquid and the fruit is soft.
Put through a medium-fine strainer, pushing to extract as much juice as possible. You are aiming for 2 cups. I got about 1/3 cup less, after straining, and topped it up with the port to meet the 2 cups.
Let cool.
Taste and adjust sugar if necessary.
Put the 1/4 cup of water in a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin onto it; let stand until the gelatin softens, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whip the cream until almost stiff. Add the fruit sugar and finish whipping.
Cook the gelatin mixture on low heat until dissolved, about 5 minutes. Add it to the fruit juice, stirring constantly. Carefully fold in with the whipped cream and pile the mixture into individual serving dishes. Chill until set, at least 2 hours.


IHCC