Sunday, January 29, 2012

Puris!

I have a confession to make - when I was little I did not like Indian food. I'm not sure why, but I assume it has something to do with the mixing up of foods. I, like other young people, liked my foods separate.

So on the occasions that I found myself accompanying adults to an Indian restaurant - I ordered bread.
Indian breads are vast and diverse and always addictive.

These cute little puris are fried into little puffs that can be used to mop up delicious curries or even stuffed with tasty fillings. And they are quick and easy too. Which is perfect, because I just might eat most of the first batch before anyone else has a chance to try them. ☺


Puris
adapted from Simply Indian
Sweet and Spicy Recipes from India, Pakistan and East Africa
by Tahera Rawji and Hamida Suleman
for Cookbook Sundays #8

1 cup flour
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/3 cup water

2 cups vegetable oil for frying (med/high)

Mix together the flour, salt and 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and rub together with your fingers to make a breadcrumb-like mixture.
Add in the water and knead to make a soft dough.
Divide into 10 equal pieces
Roll out each piece to about 1½ inches in diameter
Fry in the medium hot vegetable oil until browned on both sides - they will puff up and brown quickly, so keep a close eye on them. 3-4 should fit in the pan at a time.
Drain on racks for a minute before serving.


CookbookSundays BYOB Badge